- San Francisco Bay Area native (Shout out to the East Bay!)
- USF St. Petersburg junior
- Majoring in Mass Communications with a concentration in Journalism and Media Studies
- Minoring in Spanish and Latino Studies
- Contributor to the Crow’s Nest student newspaper
- Lover of all music, especially R&B, funk, hip hop, jazz, indie rock
- To be continued…
My journey to finding journalism has been a rather long one. Early on, I was just a budding musician who liked to write about music in general. I had no interviewing skills or not a clue about how to write an article.
So I started writing music reviews of new albums and chronicled my thoughts on favorite new songs that I came across over time. For my music reviews, my approach to addressing the lyrics and music just came naturally, with the work of reviewers for major music magazines such as “Spin” and “Rolling Stone” serving as my blueprint. At one point, I had my own blog as an outlet, but it was nothing special.
Then during my senior year of high school, my music reviews were published in tb-two*, a regional newspaper supported by the Tampa Bay Times that was written solely by high school students. After taking my freshman year of college off from writing, I returned to it during my sophomore year with a new conviction. During that year as a contributor, I wrote 11 pieces for the Crow’s Nest, USF St. Pete’s campus newspaper. My pieces ranged from profiles of a local activist group and a student band to more music reviews.
Sky’s the limit for my junior year. Coming in Fall 2017.